Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My New Ride

Yesterday was an epic day for me. I bought my very first vehicle. My parents have always been generous in letting me use their cars, but for the first time in my life, I have my own. It is a red 1996 Mitsubishi Pajero with a 5-speed transmission, and 4-wheel drive. It's nothing fancy or impressive, quite the opposite really, since it is a typical island vehicle. What I mean by 'island vehicle' is that it has a couple dents in the bumpers and infront of the passenger side door, the paint is sunfaded, many of the door pulls have come off, the locks are finicky, the seats don't quite lock into place all the time, and some of the upholestery is patched up with duct tape. Despite the minor flaws, it runs pretty well, and I love it regardless.

In a way, my new truck reminds me of David Marr's Camry. His car became an integral part of our university family, as it made many good times possible, whether it be trips to the grocery store, the weekend road trips to Tremblant and the parties that ensued. It, too, had it's flaws, like having to shut it off to change CDs, but this gave me a strong appreciation for Nelly's Country Grammar album. It was in it's flaws that it became the perfect ride. We were forced to make the best of it, and even some issues we had with it turned out to be good memories, like when the starter motor went, and we had to push start the car down a snowy road all while chanting the Jamaican bobsled rhyme.

With my truck I now have the freedom to go where I want, when I want. I can get out of Road Town and explore the island! I know that this vehicle will bring me many good times and memories, just as Dave's Camry did. Now I just need to figure out a name for it! Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment