Wednesday, March 31, 2010

International Rolex Regatta

I returned on Monday from St. Thomas where I was racing in the International Rolex Regatta hosted by STYC. The event was fantastic and the caliber of racing was excellent. I was racing on a Melges 32 called Jurakan and we sailed the boat faster and harder than it ever has been sailed before, with the help of Scott Nixon from Quantum Sails on board. It was a tough regatta and we ended up finishing in 2nd in our fleet, just a couple points behind 1st place, and we missed out on the Rolex. It was pretty disappointing not to win the regatta after sailing so well, but everyone was happy with the crew's performance and we will be racing in our home water this weekend during BVI Spring Regatta. That being said, I hope I will be racing on Jurakan as the yacht club is trying to sucker me into driving an IC-24 with some members of the sailing press racing on it. I'd much rather be haulin' ass downwind at 18 knots with a kite that could envelope most suburban houses.

I was much too busy hiking my ass off to even think about getting some sort of photos, but thankfully this event is highly publicized and therefore there were a ton of press boats snapping pics. These are all the photos I could find with Jurakan in it. Much credit to all the photographers who took these shots.

Pulling away from Budget Marine

Sailing out of the fleet

"If you don't have bruises from hiking today, I'll punch you in the stomach so you do!" - Chris Watters

Downwind start with the blue chute.

Planing downwind.

Flying with the red chute up.

Rounding the mark with Kialoa IV.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Looks like some serious fun. Wish I was there.

    Deborah da Silva
    (Mom)

    ReplyDelete