Wednesday, April 21, 2010

BVI Spring Regatta

I've been trying to get this post up for the past couple weeks but keep putting it off and putting it off. Anyway, here it is, basically recapping BVI Spring Regatta, and anything else major that has happened since then.
The past couple weeks have been insanely busy for me as BVI Spring Regatta just finished up, and following right after that was Easter Sailing Camps. Spring Regatta was pretty hectic, yet a lot of fun. There was a ton of great parties at the regatta village over the weekend, and the food there was awesome. Unfortunately, I did not get to sail. About a month prior to Spring Regatta I had the option of either running a mark boat, or driving an IC24 with 'sailing press' on it. Clearly I chose the option to sail, but then after Rolex Regatta, I had the offer to sail on the Melges 32, Jurakan, with a professional coach/sailor on board. The owner of the boat called my bosses to present them with this opportunity he had for me, which at the time one of them was very keen on having me sail, the other being rather hesitant.

The day before spring regatta I was put on a boat to take these "sailing press" out training and realized I had a bunch of complete non-sailors, with the exception of the German man who could windsurf. Needless to say, I wasn't about to teach a learn-to-sail lesson on a one design race course and quite stubbornly refused to drive the boat as I felt it was an unsafe environment to be teaching sailing, nor did I want to be taking up the rear at the back of the fleet. So, to show that I wasn't trying to be a pain-in-the-ass, and that I was a team player, I put my own personal sailing interests aside, and ran a mark boat instead of sailing with the Jurakan crew.

Running the mark boat was not that bad of a job, and we got to see some very impressive starts with some incredible boats. I'll try to find some pics to throw up here as I was too hungover most mornings to remember my camera. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment